The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) denied BCE Inc.’s $3billion takeover of Astral Media Inc. This may be as profound as Paul Martin’s decision to deny the merger of Canada’s banks. As with the banks, it may push BCE to seek growth beyond Canada.
In 1998 Martin, then Canada’s Finance Minister, blocked the merger […]
Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) are a popular way of achieving rapid growth and market entry. However, the performance of acquisitions is mixed. Half of acquisitions fail to meet acquirer expectations. Yet, acquisitions remain a central element of corporate strategy. How then can firms improve the post-acquisition integration performance of acquired firms?
First, let us see […]
Industries differ in their economic features and competitive character. Trucking, for example, bears little resemblance to Cable TV or the fast food industry. When constructing a strategy you need to first define your industry’s distinguishing features. These include market size, growth rate, the market’s geographic boundaries, size and number of competitors, buyer needs, differentiation, economies […]
Information Technology (IT) facilitates organizations with a decisive game changing opportunity. Current IT technologies and their applications provide organizations with opportunities to derive competitive advantage.
Enterprise Resource Management (ERP) systems are in wide use by organizations’ financial, human resource, supply chain, and inventory management operations. Companies implement ERP systems for the purpose of integrating the […]
Headlines remind us every day we are in a new era. “The Big Shift” is creating extraordinary change in our social, political, economic, and commercial life. It is upending the world order as we knew it. This era of astonishing change is causing markets, products, and services to become obsolete. At the same time, it […]
The task of crafting and executing strategy is a core leadership function. It is the starting point to maximize opportunities created by change and transform your organization. A firm’s strategy is the leadership’s game plan for achieving its vision, mission, and goals. It defines how you attract and please customers, grow the business, compete, and […]
Firms are reluctant to abandon the past in favour of a better tomorrow. They hang on to yesterday’s winners until they are made irrelevant by rivals. They hesitate to move from low to superior yield services/products. Abandoning a service appears to shrink revenues and profits. Hence they resist strategic abandonment.
For a growth strategy to […]
- “Free to Choose” by Milton Friedman
- Stumbling Corporate Stars
- Best of the Best Self-Management Books
- The Start-up of YOU!
- Why Companies Choose to Fail
- The Customer has Made a Comeback!
- Canada – 100 Times Slower Than Google Fibre!
- Innovation Trumps Cost Cutting
- Contemporary Business Books
- Gigabit Access, the Engine to Prosperity
- Sweating the Copper
- Time for BCE to Think Globally
- How to Improve the Performance of Acquisitions
- How to Forecast Your Rivals’ Strategic Moves
- How to Avoid the Pitfalls of Change Management
- IT – Afterthought or Disruptive Enabler for Strategic Change?
- Create Your Own Future!
- Best of the Best Books on Organizational Change and Culture
- Best of The Best Strategy Books
- Seven Beacons of Strategy Development
- Which Competitve Strategy?
- Five Crucial Activities of the Transformational Leader
- Strategic Abandonment Delivers Growth
- Entrepreneurs, the Forgotten Engine of Innovation