Below are books that can be useful in crafting and executing strategy. These are “The Best of the Best”.
Drucker, Peter F. “Management Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices”
A classic must read management book. Drucker is the unchallenged management guru.
Porter, Michael E. “Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors” and “Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance”
Must read – can be tedious. The first book provides a framework from which to analyze your industry and the second a framework to analyze your firm.
Kim, W. Chan and Renee Mauborgne. “Blue Ocean Strategy”
Blue Ocean Strategy is the most talked about strategy book. Challenges Porter’s notions and provides examples of how some companies have avoided the “slug feast” of competitive markets. It is worth the read.
Christensen, Clayton M. “The Innovator’s Dilemma” When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail
Christensen asks, “How do innovators use disruptive technology to displace entrenched companies?” This book is not limited to tech firms. Its lessons are applicable to a wide range of industries. Christensen addresses why entrenched firms lose markets to innovators. It is very much worth the read.
Zook, Chris. “Profit from the Core” Growth Strategy in an Era of Turbulence
Describes why growth strategies are not always successful. Stresses that successful companies build growth from a well-defined core. Zook maintains that growing from the core is a source of competitive advantage. He believes it is the most viable platform for successful expansion. I highly recommend this book!
- Innovation Trumps Cost Cutting
- Contemporary Business Books
- Gigabit Access, the Engine to Prosperity
- Sweating the Copper
- Time for BCE to Think Globally
- How to Improve the Performance of Acquisitions
- How to Forecast Your Rivals’ Strategic Moves
- How to Avoid the Pitfalls of Change Management
- IT – Afterthought or Disruptive Enabler for Strategic Change?
- Create Your Own Future!
- Best of the Best Books on Organizational Change and Culture
- Best of The Best Strategy Books
- Seven Beacons of Strategy Development
- Which Competitve Strategy?
- Five Crucial Activities of the Transformational Leader
- Strategic Abandonment Delivers Growth
- Entrepreneurs, the Forgotten Engine of Innovation